Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Remember The "Jello Story"


When my father-in-law was a kid he stopped at a friend's house to play. They had just finished dinner and were moving on to dessert. Dessert that night was Jello, something my father-in-law very much liked. When asked by his friend's mother if he would like some, he politely replied, "no thank you." Knowing full well she would ask him again, at which time he would act as though their persistance had convinced him to accept the bowl of Jello, and he would say yes. However, this didn't happen. She never asked him again. The last helping of Jello sat on the counter until everyone had finished and it was then eaten as a second dessert by someone in his friend's family.

My father-in-law tells the "Jello story" with both humor and a little regret. I've heard the story numerous times over the last 18 years, and it always produces a grin, or at least a smirk. When he tells it, he reminds us to be honest with ourselves and others because sometimes you don't get asked a second time.

I realized this story applies to how I've been feeling lately, how I feel about getting my hands dirty and doing whats right. You see, my father-in-law was asked if he wanted the Jello only once, and he missed his chance. Somtimes we are only asked once or given one chance to step up and do the right thing. I've missed oportunities to do the right thing because I though I'd be asked again or thought the situation would present itself again and didn't.

Don't let an oportunity pass you by. Don't wait for a more convenient time. Remember this may be the only time you'll be asked, and remember the "Jello story."

No comments:

Post a Comment